Our last blog post discussed how teeth can turn yellow naturally over time, due to the thinning of enamel, which allows the natural color of dentin to show through. However, there are precautions you can take to lessen your chances of having yellow teeth.
- Use a soft-bristle toothbrush (brushing too hard, and/or using hard bristles can wreck havoc on your enamel)
- Drink lots of water after consuming exceptionally sugary or acidic foods or beverages (such as, oranges, candy or wine)
- Don't brush your teeth immediately after consuming sugary or acidic foods/beverages (brushing right away basically makes your toothbrush an aid to scrubbing away your enamel)
- Stop smoking/chewing tobacco (or if you already don't consume tobacco, then don't start)
- Brush your teeth twice daily with a fluoride toothpaste